Saturday, August 2, 2014

Hunting Out Plants, Food and Quilts on the Dover Trail

My husband and I were out on the Dover Trail today. Dover lies about 10 miles east of us on Highway 24. The 7th Annual Missouri Peach Days are this weekend and Dover has their annual Dover Days celebration at this time of year, too. You can see how Dover is surrounded by orchards! 




Ah, fresh juicy peaches, peach pie, peach butter, peaches and ice cream...yum. So we went out on the hunt for fresh peaches, sweet corn, tomatoes, blueberries, jelly, bread, cinnamon rolls...in other words, the riches of rural Missouri! We went to Hilltop Farm Greenhouse first where we snagged both plants and food.



We drove out a few more miles east to Mother Earth Market and picked up some "peaches and cream" sweet corn, pecans, tangy peach BBQ sauce and (more) peaches.



An extra special treat was that they gifted me with cuttings of their Bolivian Jew hanging plant! They make beautiful hanging plants, as you can see. All I have to do is root it. 


We were talking to one of the proprietors about the plants and she told us about one that blooms much better when it's a bit root-bound. As she said "It does better when it's a little bit stressed." And then we agreed that that's true of people, too. I know it's true of me!

You can see we are waaay past "knee-high by the Fourth of July" with the corn out here!


We wandered through a few places and then stopped by the Dover Christian Church for the quilt show. Such intricate needlework. My hands ached just looking at all the tiny stitches. They were really lovely. These were my two favorites. The Dresden Plate design is on the top and the Wedding Ring pattern is on the bottom.



Of course we had to support their their fundraiser by sampling some pie and cake and buying two apple dumplings for later. I've never had an apple dumpling but it sure looks good. 

Good day out here in Missouri. I am looking forward to eating our goodies and rooting my new baby plants. 

Until later!

26 Letter Girl



No comments:

Post a Comment